Observing Facilities | Next Observing Sessions | Wiruna | Crago Observatory | Accreditation | Light Pollution
As some damage has occurred to equipment in the past, a system of accreditation has been implemented for the use of some facilities outside of normal scheduled observing sessions, and only accredited members may use these facilities at these times, unless accompanied by an accredited member.
The ASNSW's Observing Facilities are available for all ASNSW Members to use when an accredited person is on site to supervise. As you can appreciate, guidelines need to be put into place to manage these wonderful assets. For example, the accepted guidelines for accreditation to use Crago Observatory are as follows:
Accreditation For Crago Observatory
- Only Full Members of at least twelve (12) months standing can become accredited;
- A Member who wishes to become accredited must be trained by a member of the Crago Sub-Comittee;
- A Person wishing to become accredited must attend Crago Observatory for opening and closing at least three (3) times in the year preceding their application for accreditation;
- To achieve accreditation, a member must show proficiency in being able to handle all aspects of the observatory's functions;
- To retain accreditation, a member must use the observatory at least three (3) times per year;
- An accredited member must obtain the keys from Adrian Saw and return the keys immediately after use;
- The Observatory building is not to be opened when strong winds are present;
- Due to upgrades to the facilities at Crago Observatory, all those members who currently hold accreditation, will need to have their accreditation updated as per these guidelines.
Members wishing to gain accreditation for the use of any of these facilities are invited to Email Us for further details and to book a time and date for an accreditation session. There is a separate accreditation process involved for each of the Society's facilities, including the Wiruna Property, the 17½" and 25" Telescopes at Wiruna, and the 16" Telescope and dome at Crago Observatory.